If you like the crunch of sweet potato chips but want them without the oil, consider making your own in the microwave.
Microwaving dehydrates the potato, which makes for a crunchy chip without the greasy residue.
Making your own sweet potato microwave chips is easy, all you need to do is:
- Use a mandoline or thinly slice sweet potatoes into rounds (long, tubular shaped potatoes make for the crispiest chip)
- Cut a piece of parchment paper about the size of your microwave circular plate
- Spread sweet potatoes in single layer on parchment and place in microwave
- Microwave on hi for 6-8 minutes, watching closely and stopping heat as soon as chips start to darken in color
- Spray chips with olive oil spray and salt to taste
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse, containing high amounts of potassium and vitamin A.
A medium sized sweet potato (2″ in diameter and 5″ long) gets you 4 grams of fiber for just 110 calories.
Finally, a DIY crispy, crunchy snack you can feel good about!