The ingredient list is short & sweet: organic edamame (green soybeans) and water.
Now, I love pasta as much as the next person – but it’s generally low in fiber, low in protein and packed with refined carbs that I can do without.
What lacks in traditional pasta is what rocks this edamame pasta. A 2 oz serving (roughly 1/2 cup dry pasta) provides:
- 200 calories
- 5 mg sodium
- 21 g carbohydrate
- 11 g dietary fiber
- 24 g protein
With traditional pasta, for 200 calories you usually get twice those carbs with not much else. Here you’re banking almost half of your daily fiber and protein needs in 1 generous portion.
This protein and fiber-packed pasta alternative is also a great find for those on gluten-free, vegan or kosher diets. It’s USDA certified organic, non-GMO project verified and provides 30% daily value for iron per serving.
But does it taste as good as pasta? You bet. I found I had to cook the edamame pasta a little longer than the recommended 4-5 minutes on the package. But at about 8 minutes in boiling water, the texture was perfect and surprisingly close to real pasta.
You can serve the edamame pasta in place of any spaghetti or linguine in a traditional Italian dish. I chose to serve it up fake-Pho style with this simple soup recipe.
Fake Pho Edamame Spaghetti Soup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, remove the tough outer leaves and smash the inside
- 1/2 bunch scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 8 cups low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup mushrooms (I used Japanese shimeji mushrooms, but any will do)
- 4 oz (2 servings) edamame spaghetti
- Juice of 2 limes
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in pot over medium-hi heat. Add lemongrass, scallions and ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and fish sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Add mushrooms and edamame spaghetti and boil for 8-10 minutes
- Garnish with basil leaves and lime juice
Per 2-cup serving:
- 260 calories
- 10 g fat
- 500 mg sodium
- 23 g carbohydrate
- 7 g fiber
- 23 g protein