Good Fat & Fiber: The Mediterranean Way
The Mediterranean diet is known for a few things: mainly its focus on high fiber plant foods, inclusion of red wine, and a good dose of good fats.
These good fats – famous for their heart-health benefits, include mono- and polyunsaturated fats. While olive oil gets a lot of the good fat focus, another important source of healthy fats in the Mediterranean Diet is the avocado.
Pairing avocados with whole grains is a great way to get two of the most important health benefits from the Mediterranean Diet: good fats and fiber.
That’s why this month on the fiber blog, I’m excited to launch a Whole Grain & Avocado Recipe Contest, sponsored by the California Avocado Commission. The winning entrant wins a fabulous California Avocado Prize Pack.
Entering is easy:
- Create a recipe that features California Avocados and a whole grain of your choosing
- Email your recipe with a picture of your final creation to email@example.com by 5:00 pm PT on Tuesday September 3, 2013
- The most creative – and delicious – recipe will be chosen on Wednesday September 4, 2013 and the winner will be notified by email
- The winning recipe will be featured on Fiber is the Future on Friday September 6, 2013
- Contest is limited to US residents only
About the California Avocado Prize Pack
The California Avocado Commission gift pack is a prize worthy of any on-the-go professional! The package features a California Avocado Commission reusable tote, 6 fresh California Avocados, a stainless steel avocado spreader, California Avocado Slice ‘n Scoop tool, California Avocado bamboo cutting board, California Avocado T-Shirt, California Avocado apron, journal and magnet.
Avocados contain over 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, and a 1/5 fruit serving has just 50 calories and 4.5 grams of fat (almost all of which is mono- and polyunsaturated).
A special thanks to the California Avocado Commission for providing the giveaway pack for this recipe contest. California Avocados are in peak season right now! Learn more about the premium qualities of California Avocados and check out great avocado recipes at www.californiaavocado.com.