California Avocado season is in full swing! California produces more than 90% of the US avocado crop, and more than half of that is grown right here in sunny San Diego.
As a nutrition spokesperson for the California Avocado Commission, I love talking about (and eating) the delicious and nutritious fruit that is the avocado.
Here’s a few of my favorite avo tips:
How to Pick the Perfect Avocado
- The best way to tell if a California avocado is ripe and ready for immediate use is to gently squeeze the fruit in the palm of your hand
- Ripe, ready-to-eat fruit will be firm but still yield to gentle pressure
- To expedite ripening, place the avocado in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana; the ethylene gas from the fruits speeds up the ripening process
Avocado Nutrition Knowhow
- Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients and act as a “nutrient booster” by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients in foods that eaten with the fruit
- Use the nick & peel method as the safest and most effective way to cut an avocado
- Be sure to peel your avocado carefully as the greatest concentration of beneficial phytonutrients is found in the flesh closest to the peel
Going Beyond Guacamole
- Avocados make a great addition to any meal or snack and you can also use avocado as a 1:1 fat replacer in baking
- For breakfast, add avocados to egg dishes, bake into bran muffins, or power up your morning meal with a healthy dose of avocado’s good fat in your smoothie
- Find some really unique ways to use avocados in meals, snacks, and desserts at http://www.californiaavocado.com/recipes
For more info about California Avocados, check out my segment on San Diego Living for All Things Avocado.